January 2021 Favorites
It’s amazing how much panic one honest man can spread among a multitude of hypocrites.
Science & Knowledge
- The Food So Bad That It’s Banned In Prison – Nutraloaf is is disgusting 🤢
- Dry Out – A short film showing things drying out.
- Is Science a Social Construct? – A review of what it is that social constructionists believe about science, and why you should be skeptical of their claims.
- Is ’Oumuamua Alien Technology? – Discussion of the theory and the counter-arguments proposed.
- Why Blue in Japan Looks Like Green to Americans
- The Swedish Strategy – Not Just a Failure
- Newton’s three-body problem explained
- Obsidian Plugins (0.9.10) – My top plugins in the Obsidian app
- Bitcoin and blockchain 101: Why the future will be decentralized
Security & Privacy
- Best Secure Instant Messaging Apps for 2021
- Angry at Big Tech? Wait! The Other Shoe has not Dropped! (worse things coming)
History & Culture
- Thomas Sowell: Common Sense in a Senseless World – A fascinating documentary about the life of Thomas Sowell, one of the greatest economists, political philosophers, and authors.
- LEGO Bonsai Tree – Designer Video with Nico Vas
- LEGO Flower Bouquet – LEGO Botanical Collection Designer Video
- American Socialist Describes Harsh Reality of Life in Stalin’s Russia and The Purge (1933-37)
- Morgoth: The Origins of Melkor
Cinema & Film
- Who Ya Gonna Call? Government or Ghostbusters? – The 1984 comedy classic “Ghostbusters” can teach us a lot about the situation we’re stuck in and how we can get out of it.
- The Aesthetic of Evil
- The Drinker Recommends… The Expanse
- 25 Things You Missed In Vikings
- 15 Easter Eggs You Missed In Friends
- 10 Behind the Scene Secrets From Big Mouth
- Dragon Never Die: A Bruce Lee Tribute Short Film
- Noam Chomsky – Freedom of Speech I
- Noam Chomsky – Freedom of Speech II
- Noam Chomsky – Freedom of Speech for Views You Don’t Like
- The Capitol Was STORMED! – Everything You Need To Know – Comedic summary of what happened at the Capitol.
- Let’s Put The Chaos Into Perspective – The reasonable analysis of Blue Collar Logic.
- Capitol Hill – Who is to blame? – Russell Brand comments on the Capitol storming.
- The Truth About Impeaching Trump Again.
- Parler DEPLATFORMED By Big Tech – What Comes Next?
- How To Respond to the Great Deplatforming of 2021
- Trump impeached and banned! The end OR fuel to the flames? – Russel Brand does an interesting analysis of the current political situation in the USA.
- The Problem of Radical Islam in France
- Denzel Washington: The Only Hollywood Star Telling the Truth About Race
- Suffering Through ‘Unconscious Bias’ Training… – Matt Walsh shows one of the Unconscious Bias training videos.
- LOCKDOWN 3 – Commentary by Paul Joseph Watson on Lockdowns.
- Equality is a Fairy Tale… Here’s Why
- Ex-Congresswoman Exposes the Reality of the DNC & Govt. | Tulsi Gabbard – Very interesting interview with former Congresswoman Tulsi Gabbard.
- James Lindsay and Chloe Valdary
- A New Leninism Is Gripping America – James Lindsay on Repressive Tolerance & Free Speech – James Lindsay in a one-hour interview on American Though Leaders. Highly recommended 👍
- China Committing Genocide in Xinjiang; Building Authoritarian Bloc—USCIRF’s Gary Bauer, James Carr
- AMERICA 2021 🇺🇸 – Paul Joseph Watson is the last journalist. Seeing him exposing hypocrites and Idiocracy is so funny. His commentary is sarcastic and always on point. 😆
- NYT Begs Court to Dismiss Veritas Defamation Lawsuit; Admits Article Inaccuracies Under Oath!
- Saagar Enjeti: Wall Street Elites DESTROYED, Beaten By Redditors At Their Own RIGGED Game – Fantastic comment by Saagar Enjeti of The Hill about the Wallstreet incident.
- Biden’s Disastrous First Week
- Triple Masks? Seriously?!?
- “You will own nothing, and you will be happy”? | The Great Reset
- Shoddy COVID “Science” on asymptomatic spread (from Livestream #63) – Ph.D. Biologists Bret Weinstein and Heather Heying look deeper into the studies on an asymptomatic spread.
- The Capitol Was STORMED! – Everything You Need To Know
- Big Tech Cleans House! – Everything We Want You To Think – Take a stand against censorship.
- What Leftists Think About Freedom of Speech – A conversation between two leftists sharing what they think about freedom of speech.
- When Cancel Culture Cancels Everything
- PETA Says Animals Are Offended – Are We Getting Dumber?
- Biden’s 1st Week In Office
- Rioting: Only Ok When We Do It! – What’s the difference between a riot and a peaceful protest? Whether or not you're on MY side!
- Kamala Harris: Civil Rights Hero! – You may not have realized, but behind every single civil rights victory, there was one person.
- Screen Rant has a funny series Pitch Meeting, for example for Die Hard, Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones or John Wick.
- YoUtUbE RaDiCaLizAtIoN – Have you heard??? YouTUbe is turning kids into right-wing n*zis!!!!!
- Fake Girl trolls Thirsty guys on Omegle
- Uncle Roger Proud of Malaysian Egg Fried Rice
- The Expanse 5P
- Cobra Kai 3 – A fantastic 3rd season, this TV show is gold! N
- Bad Guys 1 – A policeman uses three criminals, a gang boss, a contract killer, and a serial killer, to clean up the crime in the city. Exciting, good action, interesting story! N
- Bad Guys: Vile City 1 – I watched a lot of Korean TV shows and movies lately, but this one is really fantastic. Raw, brutal, thrilling, crime and political corruption, fights and mass brawl between police and criminals. N
- Inuyashiki: Last Hero 1 – A Japanese Anime of a terminally ill 50-year old whose body gets replaced by Aliens with advanced weapons technology. N
- Headspace: Guide to Meditation 1N
- The A-Team 1 2 3 – Streaming Service: P
Hey, watch our new bad rated woke TV show!Me:
Nah, I rather watch some 80s action again.
- Disenchantment 2 – Still not as funny as The Simpsons, but funny enough. N
- The Minimalists: Less Is Now – The new documentary of NThe Minimalists, filmed and produced by Matt D’Avella.
- Enola Holmes – I liked this crime story around a sister of Sherlock Holmes. N
- John Wick: Chapter 3 – Parabellum – If you watch John Wick you do it for the action and fun, not for the deep story. But each part of the series was fun. P
- Thomas Sowell: Common Sense in a Senseless World
– A fascinating documentary about the life of Thomas Sowell, one of the greatest economists, political philosophers, and authors.
James Lindsays podcast is gold 🏆 He is the person to explain the recent flare-up of Wokeness, Critical Theory, identity politics, and craziness into the mainstream. Intellectual very challenging, but worth every minute.
- The Nature of Pseudo-Reality – James Lindsay explains his long essay Psychopathy and the Origins of Totalitarianism. A very, very recommended podcast!
- The Birth of a New American Mythology – A new national mythology rises in America, and it is not good news. Imperfect as it was, the old one was better, and it needs to be fought for. This new mythology turns the story of America on its head, positioning it not as having been born in the pursuit of freedom and liberty in 1776 but in slavery and evil in 1619.
- Antonio Gramsci, Cultural Marxism, Wokeness, and Leninism 4.0 – If you want to understand the present moment, especially how similar Wokeness seems to Mao’s Cultural Revolution, you have to understand the Italian communist Antonio Gramsci.
- How Not to Resolve the Paradox of Tolerance – How the left is intentionally misinterpreting Karl Popper’s Paradox of Tolerance, but in reality follows Herbert Marcuses extreme idea of Repressive Tolerance and created the world he wanted to prevent. Repressive Tolerance Series, Part 1 of 4.
- One Pill, Two Pill, Red Pill, Blue Pill: Herbert Marcuse and the Administered Society – Repressive Tolerance Series, Part 2 of 4.
The Joe Rogan Experience
- Tulsi Gabbard – Tulsi Gabbard is a former United States Representative, presidential candidate, and Iraq War veteran. Currently, she serves as the leader of Tulsi Aloha, a political action committee.
- Lex Fridman – Scientist Lex Fridman researches human-centered artificial intelligence and autonomous vehicles at MIT and is also the host of the Lex Fridman podcast.
The Megyn Kelly Show
- Amy Chua on the Climate on Campuses, Political Tribalism, and Being a “Tiger Mom” – Megyn Kelly is joined by author and professor Amy Chua, to discuss cosmopolitan elitism, the current climate on college campuses, her experience defending Brett Kavanaugh, cancel culture, self-doubt, and confidence, reflecting on being a “Tiger Mom” and the value of hard work and more.
- Tech Censorship And Independent Media, with Glenn Greenwald and the CEOs of Parler and Substack – Megyn Kelly is joined by Parler founder and CEO John Matze, Substack co-founder and CEO Chris Best, and journalist and The Intercept co-founder Glenn Greenwald to talk about Big Tech and tech censorship, President Trump’s ban from Twitter and other social accounts, the rise of independent media, free speech, what everyday Americans can do to fight back and more.
- Bari Weiss on the State of the Media, Cancel Culture, and Anti-Semitism – Megyn Kelly is joined by Bari Weiss, journalist, editor of a new Substack publication, and author of “How To Fight Anti-Semitism,” to talk about her time at the New York Times and her decision to leave, the leftward “woke” drift of the media and where the legacy media stands now, our cancel culture society, self-censorship, fighting anti-Semitism and the place of Jews in the cultural hierarchy, her move to Substack, and her recent engagement.
- Douglas Murray on Overcoming Tribalism, the Asymmetry of Wokeness, and the Rise of Victimhood – Megyn Kelly is joined by Douglas Murray, author of “The Madness of Crowds” and associate editor of The Spectator, to talk about overcoming tribalism, our current political climate, the asymmetry of wokeness, COVID lockdowns and hypocrisy, the rise of victimhood, the way children are put on a pedestal in our current culture, the “loaded gun” of racism, our “trapdoor culture,” how we can all work together to cancel “cancel culture,” how to avoid the mob and more.
The Jordan B. Peterson Podcast
- Matthew McConaughey – Matthew McConaughey (actor, producer, and author of New York Times Best Seller “Greenlights”) sits down with Jordan Peterson to talk about Matthew’s new book, his upbringing, his relationships with his mother and father, his journey to being at peace with his fame, what it’s like to play malevolent or dark characters in movies or on television, and a surprising satirical review of Greenlights.
- Gregg Hurwitz: Build a Better Democrat – Gregg Hurwitz is an American novelist, scriptwriter, and producer. In the last few years leading up to the presidential election, Gregg has been working with an independent team of Hollywood writers, producers, and directors to design and promote a moderate political message for the democrats with wide public appeal.
Bret Weinstein | DarkHorse Podcast
- Tyranny Comes at you Fast – Bret Weinstein and Heather Heying discuss the value of gratitude. They pivot to the lab leak hypothesis, and what its discussion in the mainstream media means for the ability of society at large to consider what might be true regarding the origins of SARS-CoV2. They discuss what happened in the Capitol on January 6, and the ensuing censorship and purges by the big tech platforms. The boot coming down hard and fast, with calls from U.S. Representatives to refocus our concern on events and enemies within our borders.
Lex Fridman Podcast
- Michael Malice: The White Pill, Freedom, Hope, and Happiness Amidst Chaos – Michael Malice is a political thinker, podcaster, and author.
- How Do We Save America? Live with Bret Weinstein – Bret Weinstein is a biologist, evolutionary theorist, and host of The Dark Horse Podcast available on podcasts and YouTube.
- Postmodernism Explained by Professor Stephen Hicks – Stephen R. C. Hicks is Professor of Philosophy at Rockford University, Illinois, USA, Executive Director of the Center for Ethics and Entrepreneurship, and Senior Scholar at The Atlas Society.
- “Safety Culture is Hurting Us” – Seerut Chawla – Seerut K. Chawla is a Psychotherapist.
- Abigail Shrier: “The Trans Issue Shouldn't Be Political” – Abigail Shrier is a journalist and author of Irreversible Damage: The Transgender Craze Seducing Our Daughters.
- “Antifa Violence Won't Stop Under Biden” – Andy Ngo – Andy Ngo is the author of Unmasked: Inside Antifa's Radical Plan to Destroy Democracy.
- Philippe Lemoine on the Case for Lockdown Skepticism – Jonathan Kay speaks to Philippe Lemoine about problematic assumptions embedded in the models used to support COVID lockdown policy.
- John McWhorter on the Ideological Excesses of the Social-Justice Movement – Columbia University professor and Atlantic Magazine writer John McWhorter speaks with political satirist and TV presenter Josh Szeps about the transformation of radicalized progressive politics into a religious-style belief system.
- Der nächste Virus bitte… 🇩🇪 – Dr. med. Gunter Frank, Allgemeinarzt in Heidelberg und Winterthur, Dr. med. Jesko Matthes, Hausarzt in Deutsch Evern bei Lüneburg und Prof. Dr. med. Henrik Ullrich, Chefarzt am Zentrum für Radiologie der Collm Klinik Oschatz in Sachsen, sprechen mit Burkhard Müller-Ullrich über Intensivbetten und Pflegenotstand, über administratives Chaos sowie über die Verwechslung von Leben und Infektionsverhinderung.
- Cynical Theories: How Activist Scholarship Made Everything about Race, Gender, and Identity—and Why This Harms Everybody (Amazon)
- Intellectuals and Race (Amazon)
- The Three-Body Problem (Amazon)
- The Narrow Road to the Deep North and Other Travel Sketches (Amazon)
- Psychopathy and the Origins of Totalitarianism – A very interesting, but complicated essay by James Lindsay, I recommend listening to the much easier podcast explaining the essay first.
- Damned If They Do, Damned If They Don’t: Cynicism On Display
- No, Science Isn’t a “Social Construct”
- A Manifesto Against the Enemies of Modernity – Helen Pluckrose’s and James Lindsay’s long essay on the enemies of modernity. An important article!
- A Peculiar Kind of Racist Patriarchy
- The Battle for Moral Authority
- How Silicon Valley, in a Show of Monopolistic Force, Destroyed Parler
- Former ACLU Head Ira Glasser explains why you can’t ban “hate speech”
- 2020: When the Essence of America Was Killed, and the Media Was a Willing Accomplice
- I Now Better Understand the ‘Good German’
- Your Government is Afraid of You
- California Is Cleansing Jews From History
- The woke purge
- Lockdowns do not work – why are we having another?
- Covid alarmism has done more harm than good
- Ignore the gaslighting – cancel culture is real
- Joe Biden and the crisis of the New World
- Get the troops out of DC
- Build Your Own Plants With the LEGO Botanical Collection
- Woman Continues To Hilariously Recreate Celebrity Instagram Photos, And The Result Is Better Than The Original
- In A Rural Forest In Hebei, Archstudio’s Modern Buddist Shrine Stands Out From Its Surroundings
- Zaha Hadid Architects Design a Futuristic Open-Base Tower in Shenzhen Bay
- Dragon Never Die: A Bruce Lee Tribute Short Film
Stuff & Things
- Signal – I use the messenger a while already. Recommended by Edward Snowden, end-to-end encrypted, no ads, no tracking, open-source. Drop WhatsApp and join!
- Minds – I rediscovered this blockchain-based social network that is a mix of Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube. I had tried it in 2018 but stopped using it. In the meantime, it improved massively and the plans for 2021 look fantastic: Including the Matrix decentralized communication network, group chats, file sharing, e2e encryption, and much more. I started sharing things in I like in my stream and had a much better exposure than on Twitter.
- Session – A nice new end-to-end open-source encrypted messenger based on the Loki network that uses no phone numbers, but instead a Session id, and is resistant to censorship or data breaches. It supported Group Chats, voice messages, attachments, and disappearing messages. All messages are routed through an onion routing network.
- The StoryGraph – A nice app to track your reading and choose the next book based on your mood and favorite topics and themes. It allows importing your Goodreads library. You can follow me here.
- Thinkspot – I stumbled on Jordan Petersons anti-censorship social network service, he created in 2019. It’s still in beta but hosts interesting intellectual people and content.
- IPFS – The Inter-Planetary File System is a peer-to-peer hypermedia protocol. I learned about it because Brave integrated it this month into its browser. It’s a file-based decentralized internet that is fast and not possible to censor because you request files, not location addresses. It was used to make Wikipedia accessible again in Turkey after the government blocked access to the site. DTube is a video website, running on IPFS. I read through the documentation, watched this and this video and plan on reading The IPFS Primer.
- This is Tulsi Gabbard – The new podcast of Tulsi Gabbard coming soon.
- Facts Matter with Roman Balmakov – If you’re interested in US politics and want mostly unbiased and un-opinionated news coverage, this new channel by The Epoch Times summarizes what happened 2-3 times a week.