September 2020 Favorites
Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
Science & Knowledge
- The Biggest Lie About Renewable Energy
- How to Illegally Cross the Mexico-US Border
- The Coddling of the American Mind – Jonathan Haidt
- The Strange Reason Why the US Owes London £12,598,845
- The Bystander Effect vs. The Good Samaritan Effect
- The Fabric of the Cosmos: The Illusion of Time Documentary
- Confirmation Bias and Meditative Consciousness
- Why the US Military Has a 26-Page Brownie Recipe
- The One Hour Night Routine
- Organize Your Knowledge with Zettelkasten
- Obsidian – The Power of Backlinks and the Knowledge Graph
- How I Take Literature Notes in Obsidian – Part 1: Creating literature notes from a source (book, article, movie)
- How I Write Permanent Notes in Obsidian – Part 2: Moving the ideas from the literature notes into the permanent notes.
- Obsidian: How to Organize Your Notes
- Obsidian: Keep Notes for the Long Term
- Spaced Repetition with Obsidian and NeuraCache
- RemNote Tutorials – Official tutorial playlist for the note-taking app RemNote.
- The 5 Magical Apps That Changed My Life
- How to Get Started with the Obsidian App for Note-Taking for Complete Beginners
- The 8 Settings to Activate in the Obsidian App for Beginners
- How to Use the NEW Graph View in the Obsidian Note-Taking App
- Why you procrastinate (and how to overcome it)
- Smart Note-Taking Habit | Luhmann’s Zettelkasten
- Interview and Q&A with Sönke Ahrens on How to Take Smart Notes
History & Culture
- Pyongyang: a rare look at daily life in North Korea’s secretive capital – A rainy day in North Korean’s capital city Pyongyang. Interesting as equally depressing.
- The Joe Rogan Experience (Full Documentary)
- 3 Rules That Will Immediately Change Your Life – Joe Rogan
- Clocks around the world: how other languages tell time
- Marcus Aurelius – Philosopher Emperor: End of the Roman Golden Age
- The 3 Biggest Myths About Minimalism – Matt D’Avella summarizes common misconceptions about Minimalism.
Cinema & Film
- DUNE Trailer (2020)
- Redefining the Anti-War Film – Tom van der Linden created a one-hour long film about anti-war films.
- The Drinker Recommends… Dredd
- Mulan – The Movie Nobody Wants
- Sci-Fi Short Film: ”Doppelbänger“ | DUST – It isn’t easy being single in a future society on the verge of the technological singularity.
- Film Theory: Where is Rick Grimes? The Walking Dead’s Final Mysteries SOLVED!
- How James Gandolfini Navigates Emotion
- A Test to Work Out if You’re a Good Person
- The Japanese folktale of the selfish scholar – Iseult Gillespie
- What Marcus Aurelius Can Teach Us About Leadership
Politics & Political Theory
- Let’s Talk About Racism In America Featuring Morgan Freeman, Denzel Washington & More
- Herschel Walker’s Son Christian has had enough of The BLM Movement & Riots – Funny, short and precise, and summarized to the point.
- Ritual Public Shaming – The similarity to Mao’s Red Guards is frightening.
- Unrest? Uprisings? Let’s Cut The BS and Tell The Truth.
- Another Trump Scandal That Wasn’t
- Candace Owens | The Ben Shapiro Show Sunday Special Ep. 97
- Transgenderism. A Logical Look. Part 1 and A Logical Look At Transgenderism. Part 2 – That’s real logic.
- Why the White Working Class Supports Trump.
- The N-Word. Let’s Talk About It. Is That Allowed?
- #HeToo… What Feminists Don’t Want You To Know
- Why I Changed my Opinion on China – The story of an American who lived for a few years in China, got married and a kid and how radical the country changed to the worse in the last years. As a teacher and travel blogger, who reported positive things from all over China he had to escape military police and flee the country with his wife and kid: How I Escaped From China – The Untold Story and How I Got my Family Out of China.
- The Moment Larry Elder changed Dave Rubins Mind Forever (Systemic Racism) – It’s interesting seeing ideology crushed by facts.
- Exposing What You Aren’t Being Told About Slavery & Racism – Candace Owens
- Konstantin Kisin – Political Correctness | Inspired Edinburgh
- How to Sell Protest Footage to FOX AND CNN
- Joe Rogan interviews Tim Pool & Jack Dorsey – A funny cartoon by FreedomToons.
- What It’s Like Getting Censored on YouTube – One of JP Sears comedy videos was recently unjustifiable censored by YouTube. This video mocks how this process works.
- Emotional Distancing Guidelines
- The First Morbidly Plus Sized Fashion Photographer
- A Brief History of Socialism
- How News Anchors Are Trained
- Every Political Ad Ever
- The Pandemic Hotline
- Uncle Roger Review Gordon Ramsay Fried Rice
- The NEW Political Correctness Rules
- The Boys 2P
- Lucifer 5P
- iZombie 34
- Cobra Kai
2 – This was the best TV Show I’ve seen in a long time. Continuing the story of the movie The Karate Kid 34 years later the now much older protagonists meet again. A funny, interesting Drama with a lot of nuance and deep characters. The actors are the original actors from 1984! I can’t wait for season 3.
- Aquaman – This movie was fun, nothing special regarding the story, uses the typical story arch of the hero, but the effects and action were nice. N
- The Social Dilemma N
- Ron White: If You Quit Listening, I’ll Shut Up N
- Rurouni Kenshin Part I: Origins P
- Rurouni Kenshin Part II: Kyoto Inferno P
- Rurouni Kenshin Part III: The Legend Ends P
- The Karate Kid – After finishing the TV Show Cobra Kai I wanted to rewatch this 1984 classic. N
- Michael McIntyre: Showman N
- Les Misérables P
- Leo Birenberg & Zach Robinson: Cobra Kai (Score from the Original Series) – Cool 80s themed soundtrack of the TV Show, Cobra Kai.
- Leo Birenberg & Zach Robinson: Cobra Kai: Season 2 (Music from the Original Series)
- Ninja Tracks: A Million Stars Falling
- Joe Rogan Experience 958: Jordan Peterson
- The Joe Rogan Experience 1530: Duncan Trussel
- The Joe Rogan Experience 1531: Miley Cyrus
- The Joe Rogan Experience 1534: Ron White
- The Joe Rogan Experience 1315: Bob Lazar & Jeremy Corbell
- The Joe Rogan Experience 1510: George Knapp & Jeremy Corbell
- The Joe Rogan Experience 1475: Bridget Phetasy
- The Joe Rogan Experience 1535: Tim Kennedy
- The Joe Rogan Experience 1536: Edward Snowden
- The Joe Rogan Experience 1537: Lex Fridman
- The Joe Rogan Experience 1509: Abigail Shrier – The Streisand effect: If Spotify employees want to go on strike if this episode doesn’t get censored, it must be interesting.
- The Joe Rogan Experience 1538: Douglas Murray
- The Joe Rogan Experience 1540: Frank von Hippel
- The Joe Rogan Experience 1541: Bridget Phetasy
- The Joe Rogan Experience 1006: Jordan Peterson & Bret Weinstein
- DUST: Horizonts – The first season has 8 episodes of interesting Sci-Fi short stories.
- DUST: FLIGHT 008 – The second season has 9 Sci-Fi short stories that start all with the same beginning: Flight 008 from Tokyo to San Fransisco gets swallowed by a temporal anomaly and spit out 20 years later. The short stories follow different passengers of the flight.
- DUST Special Episode: Through the Eye of the Needle
- DUST Special Episode: Hard Choices – My favorite DUST episode since the beginning. This was a good story!
- DUST Special Episode: Insurance – A really funny episode
- Coleman Hughes: The Limits of Identity with Ayishat Akanbi (Ep.14)
- TRIGGERnometry: Activism Has No Place in Journalism – Claire Lehmann
- TRIGGERnometry: Will Trump Win Again? – Matthew Goodwin
- Lives of the Stoics: The Art of Living from Zeno to Marcus Aurelius (Amazon)
- How to Take Smart Notes (Amazon)
- 21 Lessons for the 21st Century (Amazon)
- On Love and Barley: Haiku of Basho (Amazon)
- The Daily Stoic (Amazon)
- Black Lives Matter and the Mechanics of Conformity – This article is fantastic! It took me 2 hours to digest all the content (not including the half dozen linked studies). A must-read for every person.
- The Crimes of the Red Emperor
- Academics Are Really, Really Worried About Their Freedom
- Moderation Is the Highest Form of Greatness. Here’s Why.
- ‘Vertical Forest’ in Chinese Residential Complex Becomes Mosquito-Infested Jungle
- Motorcyclist Who Identifies As Bicyclist Sets Cycling World Record – I love satire
- Think retirement is smooth sailing? A look at its potential effects on the brain
- Historical Revisionism and Critiques of Video Games
- Lessons of the Pinker Affair: The Problem with the Academy is False Beliefs, Not Intolerance
- 9 Common Traits In The Lives Of Stoic Leaders
- How to get promoted
Stuff & Things
0.9.1– A new graph view which is fantastic. It allows seeing notes, tags, files, connections, and more.
- NeuraCache – A cool software to learn Flashcards imported from a lot of systems with the Spaced Repetition method.
- Airr – Highlight podcasts – An app to highlight, add notes, or quote a Podcast.
- OwlTail – A cool Podcast Player that allows following specific people and find interviews with them or finding related people.
- RemNote – Another nice note-taking app, including spaced-repetition learning.
- Ancient Earth – Enter a city name and view its position on the globe over the last few hundred million years.
- Ayishat Akanbi – Nigerian-British fashion stylist, author, cultural commentator, and photographer. Her Tweets are like poetry, but each a truth bomb.
- Sönke Ahrens – Author of the book How to Take Smart Notes. He is Professor and works at the University of Hamburg
- Konstantin Kisin – Russian-British comedian. He is constantly pushing back against “woke” culture and co-presenter of the show TRIGGERnometry, a YouTube Channel and Podcast.