April 2020 Favorites
Stat sua cuique dies (To each his day is given)
Virgil, The Aeneid, Book X, Verse 467
- Working from Home: How to Set Up Your Workspace
- How to Use Writing to Sharpen Your Thinking – Tim Ferriss on how writing can sharpen and improve your thinking.
- Fear of GERMS – George Carlin – Illustrated talk of one of George Carlins standup comedies
- My New Morning Routine
- Parasite: Perfecting Class Critique
- Some Good News with John Krasinski
- Let’s Learn CSS Grid! (with Rachel Andrew)
- How a Fitness App Revealed Secret Military Bases
- How to Feel Free in Quarantine
- Alive Time or Dead Time: You Choose If This Time Is Productive Or Not
- Joe Rogan Experience #1453 – Eric Weinstein
- Ashley Mathews (Riley Reid) on The Portal, Ep. #021 – The Mogul & Brains Behind America’s Sweetheart
- 4 Strategies For Achieving Calm In Troubled Times
- “Let Them Scream Whatever They Want” | Marcus Aurelius on Panic
- How the Monkey King escaped the underworld – Shunan Teng – Animated short film about the Monkey King tale.
- Increase Productivity With These Email Hacks
- Russians vs Saudis: Coronavirus and the new Oil War
- How to Make a DIY No-Sew Face Mask
- Microservices – Funny, because true, but probably not for product owners.
- The Hustle – Another funny video of the same channel. Also true.
- Designer’s Table – And another one, this channel is good.
- Jason Fried, Why 40 Hours is Enough: Lessons from Basecamp
- How we work at Basecamp
- How to Remember What You Read / How I Digest Books – Tim Ferriss about how to properly digest books.
- The Beauty Of Journey
- Journey – Story Explanation and Analysis – A religious and philosophical analysis of the game “Journey”.
- Journey – The Artistry of Game Design – A deeper insight into the meaning and ideas behind the game “Journey”.
- The Story Hidden in Journey’s Soundtrack – The score and instruments in the game “Journey” explained.
- The Conspiracy Theory that the Middle Ages Never Happened
- Ryan Holiday — How to Use Stoicism to Choose Alive Time Over Dead Time
- Aztec Perspective on First Contact with Europeans, Florentine Codex, 16th cent.
- How Pandemics Change Society
- 5 things that help me avoid procrastination
- What a Zoom Call With Old People Is Like
- Explaining the Pandemic to my Past Self
- How I made a basketball hoop that always goes in
- FLOW - A Meditative Experience – A meditative feature film in 4K by DUST designed to send you into a state of relaxation.
- How I Take Notes and Journal | Brainstorming + Focusing + Reducing Anxiety – Tim Ferriss explains his journaling methods.
- 2017 Personality 16: Biology/Traits: Incentive Reward/Neuroticism – Jordan B Peterson discusses the relationship between subcortical brain processes and the big five personality traits.
- New Rule: Panic Porn – Bill Maher calls on the news media to calm down and give a proper perspective.
- The white lie we’ve been told about Roman statues
- Real Samurai Explains Rules for Peace and War, 17th cent. Scrolls of Natori-Ryu
- Design Systems Video Series | Master Product Design at Scale
- The Beauty Of Hero (Ying xiong)
- Work From Home Office Tour – Workspace + Desk Update 2020
- LOCKDOWN Episode 5 – Jonathan Pie in his 5th week of Lockdown
- The Liar Tweets Tonight – Funny song parody
- My Morning Workout Routine
- A Terrible Mistake: 1 Vacuum = 1 Free Flight
- How to Have a Terrible Day (Funny)
- The Rolling Stones perform “You Can’t Always Get What You Want”
- 2017 Personality 17: Biology and Traits: Agreeableness
- The Ainu language - a short history, plus a note about last speakers and pandemics
- The KonMari Fold | Basics – I do this since a year, and it’s fantastic!
- These Were The Habits Marcus Aurelius Practiced Every Day
- Working From Home: How to Stay Focused
- Who Owns the Rain?
- The 10 Most Uplifting Movies of All Time
- The Fundamental Difference Between Stories And Reality
- The Ultimate Minimalist Meal Prep
- Why do we find Satisfying things so Satisfying? (Neuroscience and Pleasure)
- Ozark 3 – The third season was really good. This can become the next Breaking Bad. N
- Community, 1 2 3 – I rewatched Community, because it’s available on Netflix and still one of the funniest TV Shows. N
- Bosch 6 – Fantastic! Bosch is just a good crime show. P
- Better Call Saul 5N
- Fauda 3 – Again a really thrilling season playing in Israel and Gaza. N
- After Life 2N
- Sincerely Louis CK – The new stand-up comedy special by Louis C.K. $7.99
- Workplace – Documentary about the past, present, and future of the office. Filmmaker Gary Hustwit is Vimeostreaming his movies free during the COVID-19 crisis.
Music & Podcasts
- Austin Wintory: Journey (Original Video Game Soundtrack)
- Austin Wintory: Apotheosis
- Austin Wintory: I Was Born For This
- Schiller: Morgenstund
- Schiller, Jan Blomqvist: In Between
- Schiller: Aurora
- The Checklist Manifesto: How to Get Things Right (Amazon)
- Homo Deus: A History of Tomorrow (Amazon)
- Shape Up: Stop Running in Circles and Ship Work that Matters (PDF/Read it online) – I re-read this fantastic book about product development from Basecamp.
- The Divine Comedy (Amazon)
- The Daily Stoic (Amazon)
- Will You Choose Alive Time Or Dead Time?
- The Important Thing Is to Not Be Afraid
- COVID-19 - eine Zwischenbilanz oder eine Analyse der Moral, der medizinischen Fakten, sowie der aktuellen und zukünftigen politischen Entscheidungen 🇩🇪
- Classical White Marble Sculptures Were Actually Painted But Lost Color Over Time
- The Complete Guide to Hiking (And Enjoying It)
- This Is The #1 Ritual You Need To Do Every Day (Pandemic Edition)
- How To Plan Your Day Like Marcus Aurelius
- Kengo Kuma Tea House
- 40 Luxury House Exteriors To Spark Dreams And Aspirations
- Tara Guérard Soirée – Pretty website of a wedding planner company.
- SuperCalla | Charging / Data Cables Redesigned – Kickstarter page for a really interesting loading cable redesign.
Stuff & Things
- CodeTour – VS Code extension that allows you to record and playback guided tours of codebases, directly within the editor
- Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) – Our World in Data
- Journey – Probably the best game I’ve ever played. A masterpiece of beautiful art and music. This game has no spoken words or written text and can be played in less than 2 hours. It was released 2012 as a PlayStation 3 exclusive game, ported to PlayStation 4 in 2015 and 2019 to Windows and iOS. I played it eight times in April 2020, six times on PlayStation, one time on iPad, and one time on iPhone.
- What’s Matt Cooking?! – Funny website by Matt D’Avella about minimalistic cooking.