December 2019 Favorites
No battle plan ever survives contact with the enemy.
Helmuth Karl Bernhard Graf von Moltke, Donnybrook: The Battle of Bull Run, 1861 (2005) by David Detzer, p. 233
- America‘s foreign Entanglement – A video essay about military conflicts and alliances of the United States.
- Your Name – What Makes Us Happy? – Video essay exploring the meaning of love, destiny and soulmates in Kimi No Na Wa (‘Your Name’)
- Most Popular TV Series 1986-2019 – Timeline history of the most viewed TV series from 1986 to 2019.
- Joe Rogan Experience #1391- Tulsi Gabbard & Jocko Willink – Interesting podcast with the 2020 Presidential Candidate of the Democratic Party Tulsi Gabbard and Jocko Willink, decorated retired Navy SEAL officer and author.
- Watch This Video Before You Die – How to use a bucket list (things you want to do before you die) to live a more fulfilled life.
- Why Beautiful Things Make Us Happy / Warum Schönheit uns glücklich macht!
- Why your life is so boring – How to live a good life, day by day, one positive habit a time.
- The Tale of Ragnar Lothbrok, Icelandic Saga, 13th Century – Reading of the saga of Ragnar Lothbrok, written in the 13th century in Iceland.
- How To NEVER Let Bad Habits Ruin Your Life Again | Nir Eyal
- 5 Easy Ways to Build Superhuman Self-Discipline – Atomic Habits by James Clear
- If Hogwarts Were an Inner-City School - Key & Peele – Short, funny film about the 171st best Wizard school.
- The Faker You Are, the More Successful You Can Be | InvisionApp Design Lead | Pablo Stanley – The funniest conference talk I’ve seen in 2019, a must see for every designer.
- The Antidote to Dissatisfaction – Video essay into the science of gratitude.
- What is the Harm Principle? (Free Speech) – First part of the series on John Stuart Mill’s philosophical ideas on free speech.
- The Magic Mushroom Christmas Theory – A theory on the origins of the Christmas traditions 🍄
- Märchen in Asozial feat. Kelly | Julien Bam – The second-most-watched YouTube video in Germany. A funny take on fairy tales (in German).
- How to Slow Aging (and even reverse it) – The science of speeding up, slowing, and even reversing aging.
- 2017 Personality and Its Transformations (University of Toronto) – I started the lecture on personality by Jordan B Peterson.
- Ivar and Björn Avenge Ragnar's Death, 12th Century Extracts from Saxo Grammaticus and Krákumál – Two more readings from old 12th-century scripts about Ragnar Lothbrok.
- My Minimalist Home – Matt D’Avella takes us on a tour through his new home.
- Hiking 60 Miles Alone in Hornstrandir Iceland
- Death Stranding – What It All Meant | Complete Review – My favorite channel Like Stories of Old created a one hour long video essay on Hideo Kojima’s Death Stranding and the philosophy behind the game.
- Free Speech vs Abstinence-Only Education – Second part of the series on John Stuart Mill’s philosophical on free speech.
- The Beauty Of Mr. Robot – With one of my favorite TV shows ending, this video captures the visual mood of Mr Robot.
- 1177 BC: The Year Civilization Collapsed (Eric Cline, Ph.D.) – A talk by Eric Cline, Ph.D., about the collapse of all Mediterranean cultures at around 1177 BC.
- Why Most Resolutions Fail & How To Succeed – Common pitfalls of New Year's resolutions and how I plan to avoid them.
- Casey Neistat: How 800 Days of Vlogging Made and Destroyed Him
- Parasite’s Perfect Montage – Analysis of a perfectly timed movie sequence in the movie Parasite. I really need to watch this movie!
- Vikings 6 – Unfortunately this is the last season of this fantastic TV show. P
- Mr. Robot 4 – One of my favorite TV shows of all times ended, but it ended big time and with a very satisfying end. I think it’s worth rewatching the whole TV show a second time. P
- BoJack Horseman 6N
- The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel 3P
- Modern Family 9N
- The Killing 1 2 – I could finally start watching this fantastic crime TV show. I remember it was one of the reasons I got a Netflix account (but the show disappeared from Netflix shortly after I joined the service). P
- SpongeBob SquarePants 2 – Don’t judge me! This show is one of the best cartoons ever produced. It’s also for kids, but mostly for grown-ups. I finally started watching it from the first season and plan to watch it to the current one. P
- The Expanse 4 – One of the best Sci-Fi TV show of all times. I love books, I love the TV show. P
- Lost in Space 2 – I really liked this season, it was much better than the first season. N
- The Witcher 1 – A really good fantasy TV show, even though I don’t know any of the Witcher books and only played the game with a friend for 30 minutes. N
- The Irishman – The new film by Martin Scorsese is about the life of the contract killer Frank Sheeran. It’s a really good movie with high-class actors, but also very long. N
- Your Name. – This fantastic Japanese animation film was a recommendation of Like Stories of Old. N
- Two Steps from Hell: Orion – The new album of my most favorite artist.
- Robbie Robertson: Remembrance – The credits music played at the end of The Irishman.
- Melodysheep: Life Beyond, Chapter 1 – The fantastic music composed by Melodysheep for the video they released last month.
- Markeybee: Between Two Worlds
- Marcus Warner: Friendship Is Magic
- Clinton Shorter: The Expanse, The Expanse Season 2 & The Expanse Season 3 – I listened again these three albums because the music for the fourth season is not released yet.
- Trevor Morris: The Vikings Final Season
- Radwimps: Nandemoaiya – The credit score of the movie Your Name. Also available with english lyrics. The whole album is quite nice.
- The Divine Comedy (Amazon) – I’m still reading Inferno, it’s a long book.
- Tiamat’s Wrath (The Expanse #8) (Amazon) – Still reading the 8th book of The Expanse.
- It Doesn’t Have to Be Crazy at Work (Amazon) – A short and nice book by Jason Fried and David Heinemeier Hansson.
- Permanent Record (Amazon) – I started reading Edward Snowdens book and it’s really interesting so far.
- Case Study: lynnandtonic.com 2019 refresh – Lynn Fisher shows how she created her new website. Make sure to also have a look at her previous years' website archive and resize the browser! The bigger the monitor, the more funnier …
- Salary and Occupation – Cool infographic showing the salary of 800 different occupations in the United States.
- James S.A. Corey on the End of 'The Expanse' and a New Life for the TV Show – Interview on Goodreads with Daniel Abraham and Ty Franck, also known under their combined pseudonym James S.A. Corey, about their fantastic book series The Expanse.
- Group Chat: The Best Way to Totally Stress Out Your Team – A fantastic article by Basecamp about the problems with Group Chat.
- The Story of Us – A really, really long series of articles by Tim Urban from Wait But Why. He researched three years through dozens of books, hundreds of datasets, and had thousands of conversation for these articles. It’s a deep dive into history, political theory, and neuroscience. All articles are illustrated intensively with his famous stick-figures. The final chapter is not released yet, but it’s already a good 6 hour long read. Really worth it!
- Limnia – Beautiful website for a fine jewelry shop.
- Lynn Fisher – The 2019 edition of her website needs a very big monitor to see all jokes when resizing the browser.
- Sushi Mizukami – Keiji Ashizawa Design highlights the influence of nature in this Tokyo sushi restaurant.
- Patricia Rovzar Gallery – Really nice Typography and Layout.
- The Urban Village Project – A fantastic research project on sustainable living developed by SPACE10, supported by IKEA. I would love to live in
onetwo of these units.
- byAksel – The fantastic website of Aksel Jermstad a Visual Storyteller.
- Nomadic Tribe – The best page of the year. I still don’t know why it’s there, but it’s awesome.
- Near Miss Memorials – A website to raise the awareness to cross rail crossings with care.
- The Frontier Within – Nice particle effects on this visualization of the human body.
- To Taste – A really nice recipe site.
Stuff & Things
- Apple iPhone 11 – I replaced my old iPhone 8 with this new model thanks to my generous employer’s device replacement policy. The new phone is so unbelievably fast and I especially enjoy the Face ID. The Touch ID fingerprint was partly very annoying when doing Sports (with gloves), with wet or dirty fingers.
- Who Can Use – Cool tool allowing to check any color combination for contrast and visibility for vision types.
- Animated CSS Background Generator – A nice tool with three different demos, which allows creating animated CSS backgrounds.
- Leguano Husky – I bought my second pair of barefoot-shoes. It got too cold for the other pair, that’s why I bought the new winter shoe. They are really warm and comfortable.
- AirPods Pro – I bought the AirPods Pro because I needed some small headphones with Active Noise Cancellation.
- Print Friendly & PDF – A nice browser extension that allows preparing a website for PDF export (by removing parts like ads).
- Complete Blender Creator: Learn 3D Modelling for Beginners – I started this training on Udemy to learn to work with Blender. Even though I have now a career on the web, I still love 3D modeling and animation.
- Understanding TypeScript - 2020 Edition – As TypeScript will take over in 2020 I started this video training on Udemy.
- Modern React with Redux – This video training I bought in 2017 got a complete makeover and I started watching the new material.
- VSCodeThemes – A really nice website to have a preview into color themes for Visual Studio Code.
- Spotify: 2019 Wrapped – Spotify created a nice personal summary of the decade.
npx npkill– A very useful npm script to quickly delete
node_modulesand free up disk space.